The intake paralegal is a front-office position at LSEM. The intake paralegal is responsible for contacting and acquiring the background information from prospective clients, and for screening for eligibility and legal issue spotting. They are often the first employee encounter in the organization. The intake paralegal makes sure that all required client information is received and processed and that appointments are made with the proper clinic or advocate. The intake paralegal is also tasked with some clerical duties such as managing incoming paperwork, handling data entry, and answering phones.
Individuals in this position should be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have the time-management and multitasking skills necessary to perform a variety of duties concurrently. Speaking with and collecting information from clients requires strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail. The intake paralegal should also have a solid understanding of the legal environment and knowledge of its functions at the client’s point of entry. The ability to operate basic computer software and telephone presence is also necessary. Data entry proficiency is also critical as information gathered from clients will be directly entered into the case management system in real time.
Intake Paralegal Job Duties
- Initiate or respond to initial client contact to gather required legal and demographic data (includes telephone, voicemail or in person contact)
- Perform intake interviews to assess client eligibility and legal issues
- Schedule appointments and complete necessary intake paperwork
- Provide client referrals to other entities
- Provide legal information and occasional legal advice as directed by a supervising attorney
- Process electronic and telephonic messages into a spreadsheet for client contact response
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and, participating in professional societies
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Intake Paralegal Skills and Qualifications
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Software and Google Applications, familiarity with timekeeping and Case Management Systems, customer service oriented, strong oral and written communication abilities, process management and improvement capability, system development, and strong ability to multitask.
A Paralegal Certification or prior legal environment experience preferred.
Salary and Benefits
The intake paralegal is a full-time salary position.
Benefits include but are not limited to: paid holidays, paid sick, vacation and personal days, life and disability insurance, BCBS health insurance, 403b retirement plan, and student loan repayment plan.
Interested applicants should email a resume, references, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LSEM is an equal opportunity employer.