Program: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for an Intake Attorney to work primarily by phone and email (not handling a case load). This is expected to be a 30 hour/week position, ideally working out of LAWM’s Grand Rapids location. This position will report to the Director of Litigation, but will work closely with the managing attorneys for each of LAWM’s five offices.
LAWM is a federally-funded, nonprofit law firm providing free legal representation to low-income individuals and families in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional firm that covers 17 counties. For more information about LAWM, please visit our website at www.lawestmi.org.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan;
- Three or more years of experience practicing law with a legal services program;
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting the rights of low-income individuals and households;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
- Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred.
Duties: The Intake Attorney is expected to:
- Work via telephone and email with prospective LAWM clients;
- Provide intake services, referrals and/or legal advice as appropriate to clients with a variety of legal needs;
- Assess prospective clients’ legal needs for merit and potential representation in consultation with other LAWM staff and following LAWM’s established case priorities
- Maintain electronic records within LAWM’s case management system; and
- Successfully manage multiple tasks.
Salary/Benefits: From $42,687 DOE. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Executive Assistant, Julia Smith, at email@example.com
Application deadline: March 4, 2020