Legal Services of Eastern Michigan is a nonprofit civil law firm which has been providing legal assistance to disadvantaged community members for over 50 years. It serves 14 mid-Michigan counties from three offices. Flint is the largest office, and it houses the administrative staff. The other offices are in Saginaw and Port Huron. The agency mission is to use advocacy to address the causes and effects of poverty. We envision communities where individuals have affordable access to resources to meet their justice needs and can pursue their legal rights through effective advocacy.
- Provide quality legal representation to clients in accordance with grant guidelines and LSEM’s Legal Work Management Manual
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and community advocacy
- Provide counseling, advice, brief services and referrals
- Participate in client outreach and partner with community organizations
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Coordinate with Managing Attorneys to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation is provided
- Prepare and draft documentation required for funder reports as requested
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems
- Develop and maintain a positive and productive work environment
- Develop engagement with advocacy organizations, bar associations, and community groups
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Excellent legal, organizational, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to relate comfortably to individuals of different racial/ethnic, economic and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to multi-task and complete projects in a timely matter under pressure
- Knowledge of communities to be served and demonstrated ability to forge community collaborations
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to civil rights and social justice
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar
- Prior litigation experience preferred
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and is complimented with generous time off and excellent fringe benefits. Benefits include medical, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, retirement plan with matched employer contribution, student loan repayment plan, professional development allowance, dental & optical fund, and significant vacation, sick and personal time.
Interested applicants should email a resume, references, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LSEM is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We encourage minorities, women and persons with disabilities to apply.