Description of Program:
LAWM provides free civil legal services to low income persons and seniors in a wide variety of poverty law areas such as housing, consumer, family law and public benefits. LAWM covers 17 counties in Western Michigan from five offices located in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Holland and St. Joseph.
Summer interns will work under the supervision of staff attorneys to interview clients, spot legal issues, perform legal research, provide legal advice, draft correspondence and pleadings, and assist at court hearings.
- Completion of at least 1 year of law school by June 2020
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law and/or public service
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred
- Paid positions are 20-30 hours/week at $15/hour for 8 weeks.
- LAWM is also willing to work with students seeking outside funding (via their law school or other fellowships) and students seeking course credit for their internship at LAWM.
LAWM is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
Please submit your resume and cover letter including your office preference (Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Holland or St. Joseph) and whether you are seeking a paid or unpaid internship to:
Legal Aid of Western Michigan
25 Division S., Suite 300
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Application deadline is February 14, 2020. Candidates receiving an interview will be contacted no later than February 28, 2020