LLA strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 50 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Riverview, Mt. Clemens, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking a dedicated lawyer to lead staff attorneys representing low-income and senior clients in our Dearborn, MI office. The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for leading one or more branch offices to ensure that LLA attorneys represent clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through aggressive advocacy including litigation. Supervising attorneys will work closely with the litigation director to identify systemic legal problems and develop and implement impact litigation. In addition to overseeing attorneys and staff, supervising attorneys will represent clients and maintain a caseload. Supervising attorneys also will ensure that staff comply with funding requirements.
- Supervise staff attorneys and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients are provided.
- Monitor substantive legal work and provide consult and advice to staff attorneys.
- Ensure staff development through mentoring and training.
- Ensure staff compliance with funding requirements.
- Prepare and draft required funder reports.
- Represent clients by maintaining a caseload and co-counselling with staff attorneys.
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
- Develop and maintain a productive work environment.
- Develop a leadership role in legal services organizations, bar associations, and community groups.
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to lead and motivate
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, vacation and personal time.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Applications accepted until 5 pm on 2/19/2020. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.