Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a dedicated staff member who will provide secretarial, clerical and administrative support to other staff in the office, including word-processing, statistical and spreadsheet-based preparations, client database processing, drafting court forms and pleadings, client screening, and intake of new client matters. Staff attorneys will treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
General Task Areas:
- Open and/or close office (security, lights, etc.) if the first or last person in the office.
- Ensure the office maintains a professional appearance, is welcoming for clients and other visitors, and is efficient for the provision of client services.
- Answer telephones and provide organization’s information, direct calls to the appropriate person or agency, or take full and accurate messages.
- Greet and respond appropriately to the needs of office visitors and clients.
- Schedule and confirm appointments and maintain the office calendar.
- Screen clients for eligibility and case priority.
- Gather documents and obtain information from current or potential clients and third parties.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of legal pleadings and documents, letters, and other tasks for attorney litigation support. Operation of all office equipment (computers, copier, phone systems, postage meter, etc.), including use of software programs necessary to generate required documents and reports, voicemail, email, text, and access to internet resources.
- Assist with court filing, document delivery or pick-up, and other errands as required.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the supervising attorney, a director, CEO, or a CEO designee.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associates Degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of administrative and/or office support experience.
- Ability to determine and apply priorities and solve problems as they may arise. Can recognize when to seek guidance from a supervisor if necessary.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, be empathetic and understand that our clients are a diverse representation of the community. Able to deal effectively with people under difficult circumstances.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Edge (formerly IE), along with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and proof-reading.
- Ability to plan and organize multiple tasks.
- Ability to exercise discretion when processing confidential information.
- Ability to work independently or collaborate with co-workers.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to changing office demands.
- Must have reliable transportation
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications will be accepted until June 1, 2022, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.