Lakeshore Legal Aid (LLA) strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 47 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Mt. Clemens, Riverview, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a Pro Bono Staff Attorney to act as the primary point person for pro bono in Macomb County and to represent clients in civil matters. This role will spend approximately 80% of their time dedicated to pro bono efforts and 20% of their time handling casework. The position will report directly to the Pro Bono Director regarding their pro bono responsibilities and to the Litigation Supervisor in their office in relation to casework. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Develop and carry out pro bono projects and clinics in accordance with the needs of Lakeshore and interest of the volunteer
- Carry a litigation caseload, representing clients in various civil
- Actively participate in the Macomb County Bar Association and regularly attend Bar Association
- Recruit and provide ongoing mentorship to Pro Bono
- Identify cases for direct placement and find volunteers to provide
- Coordinate pro bono training and volunteer recognition
- Regularly attend pro bono specific
- Attend all case acceptance meetings for specified county, including those outside of their own
- Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and
- Ensure compliance with funding
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity or graduation from law school within one year and waiting for bar results)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
- Litigation experience in Macomb County preferred
- Experience in housing highly preferred
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.