Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a dedicated social worker who will coordinate and provide comprehensive and holistic services to individuals and families who are navigating legal issues. The social worker will work directly with attorneys and support staff. Social workers are expected to be active in the community and assist with identifying areas of crisis and use interviewing skills to assist clients in identifying goals and developing a course of action plan. The social worker will treat clients, coworkers, and others with dignity and respect.
In addition to individual client work, social workers are expected to be active in the community through participation in outreach and community organizations. The social worker will assist with identifying areas of crisis and use interviewing skills to assist clients in identifying goals and developing a course of action plan. The social worker will treat clients, coworkers, and others with dignity and respect.
- Provide timely services to low-income and senior clients and client groups through referrals and administrative advocacy.
- Provide client services in a holistic and client-centered manner.
- Train or mentor other staff in areas of experience.
- Identify people and communities in need of help.
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the supervising attorney, a director, CEO, or a CEO designee.
- Bachelor’s degree from a Counsel on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program.
- Demonstrated interest in working with low- income individuals.
- Able to communicate effectively, be empathetic, and understand the diverse clients of the poverty community.
- Minimum 2 years of social work or legal setting experience preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and Lakeshore’s mission.
- Experience or aptitude in working with appropriate office technology, including telephone systems, copiers, word processing, report generation software, internet research, client database, etc.
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
Starting annual salary for a Social Worker licensed in Michigan is $48,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
*Do not delay. Applications will be accepted until April 1, 2023, or until the position is filled. *
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.