Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a dedicated lawyer to lead staff attorneys representing low-income and senior clients in Lakeshore’s Metro Eviction Prevention office. The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for leading staff in housing cases as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to overseeing attorneys and staff, supervising attorneys will represent clients and maintain a caseload. Supervising attorneys also will ensure that staff comply with funding requirements.
- Supervise staff attorneys and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients is provided.
- Monitor substantive legal work and provide consult and advice to staff attorneys.
- Ensure staff development through mentoring and training.
- Ensure staff compliance with funding requirements.
- Prepare and draft required funder reports.
- Represent clients by maintaining a caseload and co-counselling with staff attorneys.
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
- Develop and maintain a productive work environment.
- Develop a leadership role in legal services organizations, bar associations, and community groups.
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice if an external candidate
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to lead and motivate
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Supervising Attorney will work on a hybrid basis.
Starting salary for a Supervising Attorney licensed in Michigan is $75,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until September 30, 2023, or the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.