Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in 17 counties in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore is seeking a dedicated individual who will provide support services and intake coordination for office administrators, legal assistants, law clerks and attorneys advocating on behalf of clients facing evictions in Metro Detroit as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a limited term position anticipated to last six months to one year, depending on availability and resources. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Draft and assist others in drafting pleadings and other documents for eviction diversion clients using attorney's notes and/or client communications for the review and approval of a licensed attorney
- Ensure that our dedicated eviction helplines in Detroit and Oakland County are staffed and that calls on those lines are answered timely
- Assist other administrative staff with questions about eviction diversion efforts throughout Metro Detroit
- Coordinate day-to-day operations for administrative staff assisting with eviction diversion projects
- Communicate with legal, medical, vocational, administrative, community and other agencies at the direction and under the supervision of a staff attorney
- Work with legal staff, management, program partners and clients
- Maintain files in accordance with LLA and funding source policies and procedures
- Maintain contact with clients and courts regarding court dates and other routine
- Performs all other duties as
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and mathematical skills
- S. diploma or equivalent. Minimum 1-year post-secondary education.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Prior legal experience in landlord tenant preferred
- Knowledge of Lakeshore and community resources
- Experience with or commitment to serving low to moderate income client populations
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.