Lakeshore Legal Aid (LLA) strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 47 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Mt. Clemens, Riverview, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, education, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking a dedicated lawyer who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Staff attorneys will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. In addition to individual client representation, staff attorneys are expected to be active in the community through participation in outreach and community organizations. Staff attorneys will treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect. This is a limited term position anticipated ot last 12 to 18 months depending on availability and resources. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and
- Participate in client outreach and community
- Ensure compliance with funding
- Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and
- Other duties as
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or graduation from law school within one year and waiting for bar results)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications will only be accepted until 5 pm on August 8, 2020, or until the position is filled, whichever is sooner. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.