Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in 17 counties in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid’s Counsel and Advocacy Law Line (CALL), a legal aid hotline, is currently hiring a temporary contract Supervising Attorney to lead staff attorneys and assist clients. Our office is located in Southfield, Michigan. The position offers an excellent learning experience with diverse legal subject matters, a unique working environment, rewarding and meaningful work. This is a limited term position anticipated to last 6-12 months depending on availability and resources. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Supervise staff attorneys, law students practicing pursuant to MCR 8.120, and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients are
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional
- Monitor substantive legal work and provide consult and advice to staff
- Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and
- Represent and advise clients in administrative advocacy and other advocacy forums as
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal
- Provide counseling, advice, and other brief services and
- Participate in client outreach with community
- Ensure compliance with funding
- Other duties as
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications. Full time positions include excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term disability, long-term disability, retirement plan, vacation and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.