Position: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has an open position for a COVID Legal Fellow in its St. Joseph office. This fellowship will last approximately 6 to 12 months depending upon funding. The fellow will practice in the area of housing law, focusing on eviction prevention work.
Organization: LAWM represents low-income and senior clients in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional law firm that covers 17 counties. The St. Joseph office covers Berrien County.
Qualifications - The ideal candidate will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan or be eligible to be admitted by waiver, or to sit for the next bar exam;
- Demonstrated commitment to provide access to justice for low-income individuals and households; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Spanish Language proficiency is valued.
- Manage a litigation caseload;
- Successfully manage multiple tasks; and
- Build collaborative relationships within the community.
Salary/Benefits: From $49,321 DOE. This position includes a $1,200 annual stipend for an individual who is bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Application deadline: April 29, 2021