Program: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for a Medical Legal Partnership Attorney. Legal Aid of Western Michigan is a regional firm that covers 17 counties. LAWM is LSC-funded and represents low-income individuals and families in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits and consumer issues.
The Medical Legal Partnership (MLP) Attorney position is funded by a grant from the Department of Health and Human Services Administration of Community Living. The MLP Attorney is based out of Cherry Health’s Heart of the City Health Center in downtown Grand Rapids. The target population for the Medical Legal Partnership is seniors living in West Michigan.
Duties: The MLP Attorney is part of a team of professionals at Cherry Health seeking to improve health outcomes for low income patients. The MLP attorney participates in outreach to health professionals and other community partners, meets with clients for intake onsite at Cherry Health, collaborates with colleagues at Cherry Health and LAWM on individual cases and projects, and provides a full range of legal services to clients in a wide variety of civil legal issues.
Qualifications: The ideal candidates will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan;
- Experience working in a civil legal aid office;
- Familiarity with agencies and other entities providing services to seniors in West Michigan;
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting the rights of low-income individuals and households;
- The desire and ability to work on a team with legal and medical professionals;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Spanish Language proficiency valued.
Salary/Benefits: From $48,688 DOE. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER