POSITION: Michigan Advocacy Program is seeking a Grant Writer to take over a large portfolio of government, foundation, and corporate funders. The Grant Writer will work out of our Ypsilanti office with the potential for a hybrid remote schedule. The Grant Writer will be part of our Central Administration team, which includes MAP’s Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Advocacy, and Director of Development.
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM: Michigan Advocacy Program’s mission is to advance the safety, independence, and economic stability of those most affected by poverty, racism, and other structurally oppressive systems by increasing access to justice and working for systemic solutions. MAP has provided civil legal aid for those unable to afford an attorney for more than 50 years. Today, MAP’s Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) helps individuals and families achieve safety, stability, and economic security by providing free civil legal services with an emphasis on homelessness prevention, domestic violence and elder abuse prevention, and assistance in accessing health care, food, and needs-based income programs. In addition to LSSCM, MAP manages six statewide programs serving immigrant communities (Michigan Immigrant Rights Center), vulnerable older adults (Michigan Elder Justice Initiative), survivors of domestic violence and elder abuse (Crime Victims Legal Assistance Program), and providing access to legal information to self-represented litigants (Michigan Legal Help Program). MAP has a staff of about 200 people in offices in Battle Creek, Detroit, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Monroe, and Ypsilanti. Visit www.miadvocacy.org and www.lsscm.org for more information.
- Coordinate letters of inquiry, proposals, renewals, and reports to government, foundation, and corporate funders
- Perform research for proposals and reports
- Compile all necessary attachments for proposals and reports
- Run reports and analyze data from case management system for proposals and reports
- Work closely with Finance Department to develop grant budgets
- Communicate with attorneys and other staff to develop grant proposals and reports
- Identify new funding opportunities and perform prospect research
- Communicate contract requirements to field offices and statewide offices
- Create and maintain documents for individual grants that outline timeline, deliverables, and responsibilities
- Assist with monitoring compliance with grant regulations
- Maintain accurate records, including application schedules, deadlines, proposal results, and information about grants
- Contribute to overall fundraising and grant strategy
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work within tight deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience in nonprofit work or development, including previous grant writing experience, preferred
- A demonstrated commitment to serving low-income and other vulnerable populations
BENEFITS: Salary is starting at $53,000 depending on experience. MAP offers a generous benefits package including life, short and long term disability, health, vision, dental, and flexible spending accounts. If an applicant does not require health benefits, they have the option to take an annual $1,500 payout in addition to the base salary paid over the course of the year. MAP also has a generous leave policy allowing staff to accrue three weeks paid vacation the first year and 13 paid holidays, as well as an annual 2% contribution and 2% match to retirement plan subject to board approval for eligible staff. MAP is a qualifying employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
TO APPLY: Please complete this application and submit your resume and cover letter. You can also access the application by copying and pasting the following web address into your browser: https://miadvocacy.bamboohr.com/careers/33. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Michigan Advocacy Program is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.