POSITION: Michigan Advocacy Program is seeking a Pro Bono Manager to lead the transformation of MAP’s pro bono program. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the planning and launch of an improved, sustainable pro bono model that increases private attorney engagement and client access to quality, affordable legal services. Until our offices fully re-open, the Pro Bono Manager will be working remotely. Once our offices fully open, the Pro Bono Manager will ideally work out of our Ypsilanti office. The Pro Bono Manager will be part of our Central Administration team, which includes MAP’s Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Manager of Legal Services Delivery, and Manager of Outreach and Development. This is a two-year grant-funded position with the possibility of conversion to a permanent staff position.
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM: Michigan Advocacy Program (MAP) is founded on the belief that equal justice is a right, not a privilege. Our programs strive to break the justice barriers in our country by providing free, high-quality legal services to individuals and families regardless of their income or other life circumstances. MAP has provided civil legal aid for those unable to afford an attorney for more than 50 years. Today, MAP’s Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) has five legal aid offices in south and central Michigan serving 13 counties. LSSCM helps individuals and families achieve safety, stability, and economic security by providing free civil legal services with an emphasis on homelessness prevention, domestic violence and elder abuse prevention, and assistance in accessing health care, food, and needs-based income programs. In addition to LSSCM, MAP manages six statewide programs serving immigrant communities (Michigan Immigrant Rights Center), vulnerable older adults (Michigan Elder Justice Initiative), victims of domestic violence and elder abuse (Crime Victims Legal Assistance Program), and providing access to legal information to self-represented litigants (Michigan Legal Help Program). MAP has a staff of about 150 people in offices in Battle Creek, Detroit, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Monroe, and Ypsilanti. Visit lsscm.org and miadvocacy.org for more information.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Pro Bono Manager’s responsibilities will include . . .
- Reviewing and assessing current MAP pro bono policies and practices as compared to other successful programs across the county;
- Actively engaging with state and national pro bono initiatives to identify and develop pro bono best practices for MAP;
- Working with the Executive Director and Manager of Legal Services Delivery to develop and implement MAP’s Pro Bono Strategic Plan;
- Supervising the Pro Bono Administrator;
- Coordinating with local office pro bono staff, including Managing and Supervising Attorneys and Legal Assistants;
- Monitoring, evaluating, and leading in the development of implementation plans with managing attorneys.
- Using these plans to place cases with local attorneys and firms;
- Reviewing case database to find and place cases with pro bono partners;
- Tracking, reporting on (including grant reports), and analyzing pro bono data;
- Partnering with large law firm Pro Bono Coordinators, individual bar associations, and private attorneys to place cases;
- Troubleshooting pro bono challenges and implementing new strategies for pro bono success; and
- Coordinating with MAP’s IT team to identify and implement the technology and reporting needs for a successful pro bono program (including transitioning to a new CMS).
QUALIFICATIONS: The Pro Bono Manager will be an attorney with project management or/and organizational change experience. Applicants should be licensed to practice law in Michigan, qualified to be admitted by waiver, or able to take the next Michigan bar exam. The Pro Bono Manager will also have a demonstrated commitment to serving low-income and other vulnerable populations; experience at a legal aid organization and/or with a pro bono program; significant drive and energy to move MAP’s pro bono program forward; the ability to work collaboratively; strong communications skills; facility with data/technology; and relevant skills to foster engagement with MAP staff, other legal services providers, the courts, private attorneys, and law firms.
BENEFITS: Salary is starting at $65,000 depending on experience and includes excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Pro Bono Manager” in the subject line. Applications received by 9/6/20 will receive priority.
The Michigan Advocacy Program is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.