Location: 2727 2nd Ave, Suite 313 Detroit, MI 48201.
Organization : United Community Housing Coalition, 501 c3.
The United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) Legal Assistant will work in cooperation with legal staff of UCHC and Michigan Legal Services (MLS), particularly attorneys, and others as necessary to address eviction cases and other landlord/tenant matters.
- Interview clients who have a pending eviction or other landlord/tenant related issues.
- Draft correspondence to clients and appropriate government agencies.
- Prepare intake paperwork in a timely, complete and accurate manner.
- Assist clients in addressing the landlord/tenant issue. Assistance may include:
- negotiating with the landlord on behalf of the tenant to address repair needs, resolution of eviction, restoration or possession to property, the return of security deposits, and dates to vacate unit;
- connecting to social services workers to resolve issues with the state and ensure client is supported effectively;
- drafting letters to landlords, housing inspectors, and various governmental offices;
- drafting of pleadings for court under the supervision of staff attorneys;
- performing other landlord/tenant related tasks as assigned by the executive director or program coordinator.
- Perform legal research.
- Collect and track documents for client projects.
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information.
- Refer cases in need of legal help or with more complex issues to appropriate legal staff, and redirect issues beyond legal scope to appropriate UCHC staff.
- Maintain case and contact records in suitable files for efficiency of communication.
- Be aware of the programs and policies of UCHC and external programs that provide comprehensive assistance to your clients.
- Perform other housing related tasks as needed and as assigned by the executive director.
The successful candidate will believe in UCHC’s mission and demonstrate a passion for driving the organization’s growth. They will also have:
- A bachelor’s degree, associate’s degree, or equivalent experience in the human services field.
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and intermediate computer literacy.
- The ability to learn quickly and to balance multiple projects at once.
- The ability to learn quickly and to balance multiple clients at once.
- Demonstrated commitment to community and the population we serve.
- Full-time position.
- Salary commensurate with experience. UCHC offers generous medical benefits and time off.
- Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule of both in-office and work-from-home conditions.
- Schedule: 8:30 - 4:30 or 9:00 - 5:00 Monday - Friday, though some additional time may be required depending on court filings.
- Accommodations can be made to enable the selected candidate to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Expected start date: Applications are now being accepted and reviewed.
- Position open until filled.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) is a nonprofit comprehensive housing assistance organization, which has provided a variety of housing-related services to Detroit's low-income residents since 1973.
The organization has worked with tenants, homesteaders, homeowners, the homeless, community organizations rebuilding neighborhoods and providing affordable housing, religious, civil rights, labor and housing advocacy organization to improve, preserve and expand affordable housing opportunities for low-income Detroiters.
Because of its long history and significant expertise as a comprehensive housing services provider in Michigan, the organization is frequently asked to provide advice to other organizations in communities across Southeast Michigan.
All services are provided to income-eligible families and individuals free of charge.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, UCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, and termination. Consistent with state and federal laws, UCHC is committed to maintaining a workplace free from the abuse of drugs and alcohol.