Lakeshore Legal Aid (LLA) strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 47 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Mt. Clemens, Riverview, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, and consumer, and public benefits law.
The Litigation Director is responsible for the day-to-day operation of Lakeshore’s litigation offices and reports to the Chief Advocacy Officer.
The Litigation Director shall adequately and properly perform the following duties:
- Monitor and coordinate LLA litigation and advocacy.
- Develop and implement litigation management systems.
- Oversee and assist Supervising Attorneys in evaluating work of advocacy staff, conduct case reviews, and review advocate caseloads. This includes quality, quantity, priorities, and compliance with Legal Services Corporation.
- Mentor supervising attorneys, staff attorneys and advocates.
- Participate in case acceptance meetings.
- Assist in identifying and resolving system legal issues affecting clients, help fashion effective approaches to their solution or amelioration through litigation, advocacy, community legal education and/or other tools.
- Assist in preparation of grant reports and applications.
- Assist compliance director to monitor and ensure that staff advocacy meets funder requirements.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com.
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.