Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a Deputy Eviction Prevention Director to assist in the day-to-day operations of Lakeshore’s Detroit Eviction Prevention team. The Deputy Eviction Prevention Director will support the work of Lakeshore’s Detroit Eviction Prevention team including client services, personnel, staff development and all other operations of the team. The position will report directly to the Detroit Eviction Prevention Director.
- Assist the Detroit Eviction Prevention Director in preparation of grant reports and applications.
- Monitor staff development activities, develop workplans and promote professional development within the team.
- Assist Compliance Director to monitor and ensure that staff advocacy meets funder requirements.
- Work closely with Employee Relations regarding personnel issues.
- Assist the Detroit Eviction Prevention Director with overseeing and assisting supervising attorneys in evaluating work of advocacy staff, conduct case reviews, case closings, and review advocate caseloads. This includes quality, quantity, priorities, and compliance with funder obligations and regulations.
- Mentor supervising attorneys, staff attorneys and advocates.
- Participate in case acceptance meetings.
- Assist in identifying and resolving systemic legal issues affecting clients, help fashion effective approaches to their solution or amelioration through litigation, advocacy, community legal education, etc.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor.
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity).
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
Starting annual salary for a Deputy Director range from $83,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off (PTO).
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications will be accepted until July 1, 2023, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.