Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in 17 counties in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid’s Counsel and Advocacy Law Line (CALL), a legal aid hotline, is currently hiring a Supervising Attorney to lead staff attorneys and assist clients. Our office is located in Southfield, Michigan. The position offers an excellent learning experience with diverse legal subject matters, a unique working environment, rewarding and meaningful work. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Supervise staff attorneys, law students practicing pursuant to MCR 8.120, and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients are provided.
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Monitor substantive legal work and provide consult and advice to staff attorneys.
- Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums as needed.
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and referrals.
- Participate in client outreach with community organizations.
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until April 18, 2021, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.