Lakeshore Legal Aid (LLA) strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 47 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Mt. Clemens, Riverview, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, consumer, education, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking a dedicated lawyer who will lead attorneys and advocate and litigate on behalf of low- income clients facing legal problems with housing, family law, and unemployment benefits as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This attorney may represent clients in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties. This is a limited term position anticipated to last six months to one year, depending on availability and resources. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Supervise staff attorneys, law students practicing pursuant to MCR 8.120, and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation to clients are
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional
- Monitor substantive legal work and provide consult and advice to staff
- Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums as
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and
- Participate in client outreach with community
- Ensure compliance with funding
- Other duties as
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- 5 years or more experience of practice
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.