Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore is seeking dedicated law students who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Summer Law Clerks will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. In addition to individual client representation, Summer Law Clerks are expected to treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect. This position is seasonal based on Law School semesters.
- Provide high quality legal representation in accordance with Lakeshore’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct with the supervision of a licensed attorney per MCR 8.120
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and referrals
- Participate in client outreach and community organizations
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in a law school clinic or class, seeking experience for law school credit
- Law Student in a law school approved by the ABA who has received a passing grade in law school courses and has completed their first year; preference will be given to those students who have completed their second year
- Ability to commit to work for 24-40 hours per week starting on May 15, 2023, and going through August 11, 2023
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
This is an unpaid law clerk position. Applicants must be able to start on May 15, 2023. There are no fully remote positions available; all applicants must be prepared for working from an office and the community.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Applications will be accepted until 5 pm, March 31, 2023 **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.