Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Counsel and Advocacy Law Line (CALL) to assist in the day-to-day operations of the attorney-staffed hotline and centralized intake services. Our office is located in Southfield, Michigan. The Deputy CALL Director will support all areas of the department including client services, compliance, personnel, staff development and all other operations of the offices. The position will report directly to the CALL Director.
General Task Areas:
- Provide timely legal services through advice, investigation, negotiation, referrals, drafting and review of legal documents, and advocacy for eligible individuals and client groups.
- Serve the clients in a holistic and client-centered manner.
- Demonstrate strong research and organization skills, the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, and well-developed analytical and computer skills.
- The ability to handle high client demands and case volume, problem solving, with patience, empathy, and sensitivity towards people in crisis.
- Train or mentor other staff in areas of experience.
- Maintain currency in legal developments in poverty law.
- Assist in identifying substantial poverty problems affecting individual clients or the client communities.
- Understand and utilize office equipment and technology. Ability to learn and use new or updated equipment and software as required.
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the supervising attorney, a director, CEO, or a CEO designee.
- Juris Doctor.
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity).
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
Starting hourly rate for a part-time attorney licensed in Michigan ranges from $28.87.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications accepted until November 24, 2023, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.