The Legal Aid and Defender Association, Inc. (LAD) is currently accepting resumes for Contractual Staff Attorneys to join our Housing and Survivor Justice Teams.
These are contractual staff attorney positions. The staff attorneys will handle a caseload that will consist of representing clients in legal matters involving in one or more of the following areas: services to survivors of domestic/dating violence, sexual assault and stalking including family law; consumer including bankruptcy; landlord-tenant and other housing matters including foreclosures and land contract forfeitures.
- Providing a full range of legal advice and representation;
- Collaborating with LAD’s community partners on agency projects;
- Attending staff, project and community meetings and events;
- Participating in statewide advocacy efforts and training;
- Thorough and timely case and file management, including timekeeping;
- Assisting with funder reporting and evaluation requirements as
The staff attorneys are expected to attend and participate in community outreach efforts throughout LAD’s tri-county service area (Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties) but primarily within Wayne County, some of which may be scheduled during the evening or on weekends.
COVID-19 Info: As long as there is a state of emergency during the pandemic, these positions and most LAD positions will be working remotely most of the time, and will be required to come to the office, the courts, or other public meetings only as necessary. LAD is providing PPE for employees and guests, and maintaining other risk reduction measures in the office. During the pandemic, outreach services are being provided remotely.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of
- Prior experience in litigation or advocacy work dealing with expungement, landlord- tenant/housing, mortgage/tax foreclosure, consumer/bankruptcy or family law
- Strong understanding of issues affecting low-income individuals and of the problems faced by impoverished
- Ability to work under deadline and manage multiple
- Excellent written and oral communication, litigation and advocacy
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others both within and outside of LAD.
These are contractual positions. Compensation will be based upon the successful candidates’ qualifications. The positions do not include fringe benefits. Some positions are for short-term projects.
Legal Aid and Defender Association, Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that encourages all interested persons to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, genetic information, physical or mental disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status. We strongly encourage applicants of color, applicants with disabilities, and others historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
Interested applicants should submit an updated resume, three current references, and a writing sample to:
Legal Aid & Defender Association, Inc.
Human Resources Office 613 Abbott St., Ste. 610
Detroit, MI 48226
by fax: (313) 209-3576
by email: email@example.com
Please indicate “Contract Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line. All materials must be submitted no later than Friday, October 9, 2020.
No Phone Calls or Walk-ins Please
Legal Aid & Defender Association, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer