Position: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has one or more positions open for a COVID Legal Fellow. Fellowships will last approximately 6 to 12 months depending upon funding. The fellows will be placed throughout the Legal Aid of Western Michigan’s five offices in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Holland and/or St. Joseph to support our response to the legal needs of our communities in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The fellows will practice in the areas of family law, housing law, public benefits, and/or consumer issues, depending upon client needs and fellows’ interest and experience.
Organization: LAWM represents low-income and senior clients in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional law firm that covers 17 counties.
Qualifications: The ideal candidates will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan or be eligible to be admitted by waiver, or to sit for the next bar exam;
- Demonstrated commitment to provide access to justice for low-income individuals and households; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Spanish Language proficiency is valued.
- Manage a litigation caseload, including but not limited to: family law, housing law, consumer law, and public benefits cases;
- Successfully manage multiple tasks; and
- Build collaborative relationships within the community.
Salary/Benefits: From $48,688 DOE. This position includes a $1,200 annual stipend for an individual who is bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TO APPLY, please submit your resume and cover letter including your top two office preferences (Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Holland, or St. Joseph) to Executive Assistant, Julia Smith, at email@example.com or apply online at https://lawestmi.org/careers/
Application deadline: June 8, 2020