Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in 17 counties in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore is seeking dedicated legal assistants who will provide support services for staff attorneys advocating on behalf of clients facing legal problems relating to housing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
- Receives, screens and refers telephone and online clients as directed.
- Draft pleadings and other documents from staff attorney's notes and/or client communications for the review and approval of a staff attorney
- Communicates with legal, medical, vocational, administrative, community and other agencies at the direction and under the supervision of a staff attorney
- Work with legal staff, management, program partners and clients
- Maintain files in accordance with LLA and funding source policies and procedures
- Maintain contact with clients and courts regarding court dates and other routine functions.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and mathematical skills
- H.S. diploma or equivalent. Minimum 1-year post-secondary education.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Prior legal experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Lakeshore and community resources
- Experience with or commitment to serving low to moderate income client populations
Salary is commensurate with qualifications. Full time positions include excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term disability, long-term disability, retirement plan, vacation and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.