Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore is seeking dedicated law students who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Law Clerks will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. In addition to individual client representation, Law Clerks are expected to treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect. This position is seasonal based on Law School semesters.
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct with the supervision of a licensed attorney per MCR 8.120
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and referrals
- Participate in client outreach and community organizations
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Law Student in a law school approved by the ABA who has received a passing grade in law school courses and has completed their first year; preference will be given to those students who have completed their second year
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
The hourly rate for this position is $20/per hour. Applicants must be able to start on January 3, 2023. Please include your preferences, if any, regarding working remotely, in-person, or in a hybrid work environment in a Winter 2023 law clerk position.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
Applicants must be able to start on January 3, 2023, and participate in four full days of orientation from January 3-6, 2023
** Applications will be accepted until 5 pm, December 22, 2022 **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.