Position: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has two Staff Attorney positions open in its Grand Rapids office. These positions will work primarily in the area of eviction defense and other housing law.
Organization: LAWM represents low-income and senior clients in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional law firm that covers 17 counties. The office in Grand Rapids serves clients in Ionia, Kent, Mecosta and Montcalm counties.
Qualifications - The ideal candidates will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan or eligible to be admitted by waiver, or to become licensed within 8 months;
- Experience in the areas of housing law;
- Demonstrated commitment to provide access to justice for low-income individuals and households; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Spanish Language proficiency is highly valued.
- Conduct intake appointments with clients seeking legal help for housing-related issues;
- Manage a litigation caseload that focuses on eviction defense and housing law;
- Successfully manage multiple tasks; and
- Build collaborative relationships within the community.
Salary/Benefits: From $49,321 DOE. This position includes a $1,200 annual stipend for an individual who is bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Executive Assistant, Julia Smith, at email@example.com. Application deadline: October 15, 2021