Position: Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) has a position open for a Staff Attorney in its Holland office. This is a grant-funded position working in eviction defense. We expect this position to be funded through December 2023.
Organization: LAWM represents low-income and senior clients in a wide variety of poverty law areas including domestic violence, housing, public benefits, and consumer issues. LAWM is a regional law firm that covers 17 counties.
Qualifications - The ideal candidate will possess:
- A license to practice law in Michigan or eligible to be admitted by waiver, or to become licensed by November 2022;
- Experience in the areas of housing law.
- Demonstrated commitment to provide access to justice for low-income individuals and households; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Spanish Language proficiency is highly valued.
- Conduct intake appointments with clients seeking legal help for housing-related issues;
- Manage a litigation caseload that focuses on eviction defense and housing law;
- Successfully manage multiple tasks; and
- Build collaborative relationships within the community.
Salary/Benefits: From $55,000 depending on experience. We offer an additional $2,200 annual stipend for an individual who is bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. LAWM offers an excellent fringe benefit package including a retirement plan and a flex benefit account.
LAWM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TO APPLY, send resume and cover letter to Executive Assistant Julia Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: September 30, 2022 or until filled.