Lakeshore Legal Aid (LLA) strives to serve its clients in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. LLA provides free legal assistance in 47 counties in Michigan through our offices located in Detroit, Pontiac, Warren, Dearborn, Southfield, Mt. Clemens, Riverview, Port Huron, and Caro. Our work includes housing, family, and consumer, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking a dedicated lawyer who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Staff attorneys will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. In addition to individual client representation, staff attorneys are expected to be active in the community through participation in outreach and community organizations. Staff attorneys will treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums.
- Engage in appellate work, complex, and major litigation.
- Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and referrals.
- Participate in client outreach and community organizations.
- Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctor
- Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
- Bilingual in Arabic and English is preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Applications accepted until 5 pm on 4/30/2020. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.